Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A few favorite passages

Tonight I wanted to put together a teaching that has been in my heart after attending this weekend's charismatic Catholic conference. But instead I dug up my concordance (the greatest Bible study companion) to look up a few passages that have inspired me or that I remember. I've always had some good old favorites. Ones that most people are familiar with of course. But there are a few that I have struck a cord with me over the last few months. I will share a few of them here. They say us Catholics are not too knowledgeable of The Word but I want to change that. I want to spend more time studying The Word.

Matthew 22: 37 The greatest commandment "You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind."

Matthew 22: 39 The second greatest commandment "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Matthew 5: 44-48 Love your enemies

Matthew 18: 21-22 How often must I forgive?

John 15: 13 True friendship "No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends."

Jeremiah 29: 11 An old SFC favorite "For I know well the plans I have in mind for your welfare, not for woe! plans to give you a future full of hope."

Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8 To everything there is a season

1 Corinthians 13 "Love is patient. Love is kind..Faith, hope, and love remain these three, but the greatest of these is LOVE."

Matthew 5: 3-10 The Beatitudes

Matthew 6: 9-11 "...Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done..."

John 3: 16 Who doesn't know this one? "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life."

1 Corinthians 12: 12-26 One Body, Many Parts

Genesis 2: 18- 24 A suitable partner for man

I could probably go on and on forever. There is so much wisdom and truth in The Word. Every answer you need to know is in The Word. It might not be the answer you want to hear or how you want things to end, but it is not about us and what we want. It is about what God has mastered for us. It is about His master plan for us. Believe what is in the Bible. It is The Truth.

No comments: