Saturday, November 8, 2008

James 1: 2-4

Written November 7, 2008 at First Friday Adoration St Margaret Marcy Catholic Church Winter Park, FL


James 1: 2-4

"Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you encounter various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. And let perseverance be perfect, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."



My friend Kenny at work is always reminding me of this passage. Every day at lunch I tell Kenny about my stress and current struggles and every day he repeats this same verse. I think and ponder closely its meaning and what it is trying to teach me. I share with you the teaching in this blog.

I know that living a life faithful and devoted to God does not mean I am free from hard times. Having a close personal relationship with Jesus Christ might sometimes present us with more trials and tribulations. Satan knows that we know and love God and that angers him. He wants us for himself so he will do what he can in our weakness to get us to renounce God and follow him. He desires our hearts as much as God does. He is looking for that tiny opening. He seeks just the tiniest of openings so he can come in and try to get us to turn away from God. Each time we have difficult times in our lives Satan uses that as an opportunity and window into our minds and souls. He knows we are weak and vulnerable. But if we read James 1: 2, we are reminded in our times of trial and difficulty to "Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you encounter various trials..." Still find it in our hearts to praise and give thanks to God. Satan sees this and he is angered. He cannot have our heart because it belongs to God. God claims victory over us and Satan is thwarted again. These trials and hard times are a testing of our faith. They challenge our faith and how we are going to act and react. Satan waits for that moment we might defy or deny God. This is his chance. But instead we give praise and thanks to God for He is good. We even thank God for that trial and hardship we are facing. Have you ever thought to praise and thank God in the bad times? Do we not praise and give thanks to God for the good things and blessings in our lives? It is easy to give thanks and praise when times are good, but what about when times are hard and rough? Do you remember to give praise and thanks then, too? Why do we need to give thanks and praise during these times? It is as James 1:3 says "the testing of our faith produces perseverance" What does that mean? It means are a strengthened and lifted up during these times. We are given strength and courage to continue on. With the help of God we can and will overcome. We are reminded we cannot do it on our own. We cannot get through it by our own means. We must do it with the help of God. God gives us perseverance to get through it and move on. We must let perseverance be perfect. We must let it run its course and take it to the end. It says in James 1:4 "let perseverance be perfect, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." How beautiful is that...lacking in nothing. What does that mean? What is that saying? In that trial and hardship God provides everything that we need. There is nothing that we need to get through it but what God gives us. We know He provides for our every need. So why not so in our times of great trial? Should the Lord not provide us with anything and everything we need to survive this trial? God is an awesome God. God is a great God. He provides anything and everything we need and/or desire especially in our times of trial. He gives us everything we need to persevere through the trial. We are reminded in Psalm 23: 1 "The Lord is my shepherd, there is nothing I shall want." The Lord provides us everything we shall ever need or want not only in times of joy but also in our times of trial. Every day I am reminded by my friend Kenny that if I put all my faith and trust in the Lord then there is nothing I shall need or want. Even in times of trial I shall persevere and lack in nothing. I am reminded over and over again in my fellowship and friendship with Kenny how awesome and amazing God is. He provides for all our needs and desires even in the times of need and trial. Through my faith and belief in God and His Son Jesus Christ I am lacking in nothing. I thank God for my friendship and fellowship I am able to have with Kenny every day even if it is for such a short time. I am reminded of the passage Matthew 18: 20 "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there I am in their midst." I am reminded that even if only two are there in fellowship there the Lord God is among us. I am reminded through God I am lacking in nothing.

Put all your faith and trust in the Lord God even in the trials and you will lack for nothing.

No comments: